JOB TITLE: Relief Operator
DEPARTMENT: Jeffrey Energy Center
LOCATION: St Mary’s, Ks
PAY RANGE: $29.23
Headquartered in both Kansas City and Topeka, Evergy employs about 4,900 people who are dedicated to empowering a better future. We are recruiting candidates for a Relief Operator at our coal fired Jeffrey Energy Center, wage rate $29.23 per hour. Please find below a list of the minimum requirements for the position. It is important the candidates address their qualifications in the documentation submitted for consideration.
Relief Operator- “shall relieve all temporary absences by the method of “upgrade on shift.” When not being used to relieve temporary absences they may be used for further training of themselves or, by upgrading on shift, the further training of other personnel. At the discretion of the shift supervisor they may also be used for additional operating duties where qualified. Absences of relief operators shall not be relieved.”
“The Relief Operator shall be qualified for two (2) Auxiliary Operator positions prior to promotion to Auxiliary Operator on a permanent basis and shall complete training for all Auxiliary Equipment Operator positions within 24 months. The fully trained Auxiliary Equipment Operator will be expected to train and qualify for the Control Room Operator position as soon as the opportunity arises after successful completion of all auxiliary positions. Training will consist of both on the job and training modules with text materials. At the discretion of the shift supervisor they may also be used for additional operating, training, and cleanup duties where qualified.
Relief Operator 1 – $29.23
Relief Operator 2 – $30.68
Auxiliary Equipment Operator – $35.98
Auxiliary Equipment Operator – $39.03
Auxiliary Equipment Operator – $42.23
Control Room Operator – $48.57
Summary of Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Operate power plant equipment including valves, breakers, pumps, motors, and specialized equipment in support of power production.
• Perform flawless energy isolation and permitting of equipment in support of maintenance
• Perform routine inspection of plant equipment
• Review plant equipment performance data on a daily basis and report deficiencies
• Utilize Computerized Maintenance Management System to create, track, and complete work orders and work requests.
• Perform performance tests and troubleshoot equipment that is not performing as expected
• Review and edit operating procedures and P&ID’s (Piping and Instrument Diagrams)
The Successful Candidate will Demonstrate the Following:
• Safety – The job requires the utmost attention paid to safety in all instances.
• Leadership- Ability to lead others and direct the workforce in all areas of safety, work practices company initiatives with a high level of integrity.
• Adaptability/Flexibility — Job requires being open to change (positive or negative) and to considerable variety in the workplace.
• Call Out Response – The successful applicant will be expected to be responsive to call outs and holdovers as work necessitates.
• Skills- Must have the ability to understand, operate, and troubleshoot mechanical and electrical systems.
• Effective Communication- Effectively communicates to customers, team members, and supervisors regarding all aspects of the job.
• Teamwork- Works well in a team environment.
• Stress Tolerance – Deals calmly and effectively with high stress situations such as fatigue, inclement weather, and or time pressure.
• Attention to Detail-Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
• Initiative- Job requires a willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
• Cooperation-Job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
• Customer Service- Demonstrates an exceptional level of customer service and professionalism.
• Diversity- Values Diversity and Diversity of Thought.
Licenses, Certifications, Bonding and/or Testing Required:
Must possess a high school certificate or equivalent. Related equipment operation or maintenance experience and an Associate of Science in Power Plant technology or its equivalent is preferred.
Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Must successfully complete the EEI MASS/POSS Aptitude Test
Time will be spent in the power plant in a noisy industrial environment. This includes areas of extreme temperature, times of inclement weather, and work at heights above ground. Required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) including but not limited to: hard hat, safety glasses/goggles, ear plugs/muffs, masks/respirators, safety vests, gloves and leather work boots. Must have a satisfactory work record including good attendance. This position works rotating shifts; nights, weekends, and holidays. Must live within 50-minute drive time of the plant.
Evergy has a clear mission – To empower a better future. Evergy chooses to live this mission by valuing People First. We know to accomplish becoming the most innovative and reliable energy company, we need a team with a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. So, our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative of the communities we serve. We are committed to celebrating diversity and building a team where everyone – regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status – has a voice and can bring their best every day. We know that the more diverse and inclusive we are, the better we will be. Evergy is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer.
Disclaimer: The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Apply online at evergy.com/careers.