Human Resource Professional I
Job Opening ID #: 211816
Location: Topeka / Shawnee County
Job Posting Closes: Open Until Filled
Kansas Highway Patrol www.KHPJobs.org
About the Position:
• Who can apply: Anyone (External)
• Classified/Unclassified Service: Unclassified
• Full/Part-time: Full-Time
• Work Schedule: 8:00am – 5:00pm
• Eligible to Receive Benefits: Yes
• Veteran’s Preference Eligible: No
• Hourly Pay Range: $18.26 – $20.58
Position Summary & Responsibilities:
Position Summary: This position works across several Human Resource program areas. Attention to detail and accuracy are critical in all functions.
1) PAYROLL: Serves as back up Payroll Manager. Audits various payroll reports and codes to ensure wages and appropriate deductions are correct. Monitors end of probation for employees, notifies Payroll Manager, and updates status (and when applicable, holiday coding) in SHaRP. Completes requests for verification of employment making sure a release of information is in place and in compliance with other regulations which govern the release of employment and payroll information.
~Enters and maintains data on agency employees in the SHaRP system, including but not limited to employee personal information, name changes, all direct deposit information/changes, and more. Reviews payroll reports to ensure direct deposit enrollments and/or changes are processed accurately.
~Monitors the agency performance review program, receives evaluations and encourages supervisors and managers to complete performance evaluations in a timely manner and within Kansas Administrative Regulations (KARs) and KHP policies. Assists supervisors and managers with questions regarding the completion of performance evaluations and with the electronic system. Updates all information in the maintenance side of the system as necessary. Sends out reminders to supervisors and managers by email regarding evaluations due for promotions, transfers, end of probation, change in supervision, or terminations.
~Monitors Position Descriptions, compares PD received to Final PDs on file, sends reminders to supervisors as needed. Checks PDs received exactly match ‘Finalized’ PD on file, stamp with HR Director’s signature, file signed PDs into cabinet. Review and compare position descriptions to maintain authorized changes by HR.
~Receives organizational charts for each Troop/Unit/Program and updates HR Org Chart folder (in L drive). Ensures new org charts are received every time there is employee movement. Enters ‘Reports To’ changes in SHaRP and the PRS as needed.
~Maintains Excel spreadsheet(s) to track when automatic reallocation/promotions are to occur, verifies with KHPTA, Troop Captain, etc that certifications have been acquired as needed and ensures timely preparation of accurate correspondence.
~999 Employees – Track all temporary part-time 999 employee hours worked. Update after each payroll period. Notify the employee supervisor when employee nears the 999 – hour cap (maximum hours) and carbon copy the Payroll Manager to keep them abreast of the situation. Critical that these employees do not go over the 999 hours in a 12 month period.
2) BENEFITS : Serves as backup Designated Agent for KPERS/KP&F. Tracks retirement eligibility calculations for fiscal. Verifies ADM usage during each pay calc. Assists Benefits Manager with Shared Leave tracking and LWOP requests. Assists with preparation of training presentations, and presents training as needed.
~Assists with New Employee Orientation by preparing paperwork and assisting employees with questions for completion of paperwork.
~Manages FMLA and Parental Leave programs; determines individual eligibility, issues correspondence and updates established tracking as trained by supervisor.
~ Monitors Personal Changes email box. Manages information related to voluntary transfers for Trooper positions across the state, advises PM when transfer is complete.
~Agency Point of Contact and manages the Military Leave program. Receives requests for leave, and official military orders, and answers questions related to policy & procedure. Determines if orders qualify for Military Activation or Differential Payment. Drafts detailed approval letters for Colonel’s signature for military leave usage approval or approval to utilize other leave in addition or in place of the military leave, and calculates military leave exhaustion. Ensures return to work requests are submitted and generates approval letters for Colonel’s signature. Adheres to KARs, state statutes and agency policies pertaining to military leave. Tracks military leave balances and usage. Ensures that Benefits, Payroll and Recruitment mangers are all copied on employee’s Military Leave approvals.
~Receives, reviews, and then obtains approval to pay, in writing, from Benefits and/or Recruitment Manager before paying invoice(s) from polygraph suppliers, drug test facilities, and other service providers for the Trooper Trainee hiring process and Psychological expenses for the agency. Places SMART invoice requests and follows them to completion, tracks expenses. Provide encumbering funds for yearend for all necessary expenses. Tracking and follow up to assure bills are paid timely.
~Prepares, distributes, and files correspondence for annual MAV agreements.
3) RECRUITMENT : Pulls applications for all posted positions daily, posts and advertises open positions on the State of Kansas website and any other approved recruitment site to generate the maximum number of candidates possible. May go to career fairs to promote KHP positions. Ensures applicants are uploaded into AppTrack. Participates in the interview process as needed. Creates BID files and maintenances recruitment files. Once applicant is thru BG ensures all materials are in recruitment file before closing file for archive.
~Tracks Promotional or Voluntary Transfers for the Trooper Series; works with recruitment, payroll, and benefits managers as applicable. Prepares LT BID packets. Maintenances LT test ranking list and notifies HR Director when new rankings need issued.
~Prepares correspondence and notifications for programs including but not limited to; Trooper through Lieutenant level bid processes, official hire letters, transfer letters, promotional letters, and LT test ranking letters. Use of merge files as necessary. Distributes to appropriate: employees, HR members, chains of command, files in PFile, etc.
4) Custodian of the official personnel file for all KHP employees. Responsible for compliance with KAR 1-13-1a and 1-13-1b. Maintain hard copy filing system for the unit. Retrieve personnel files for legal or other reviews. Performs scanning and copying functions.
~Receptionist, receives incoming calls politely and courteously; directing to the appropriate unit member. Gives information or answers questions as appropriate, and relays messages promptly to ensure good customer service.
Answers the door to the HR unit, retrieves and distributes daily mail for the unit. Open, date stamp with correct date of receipt, and distributes to correct unit members. Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor or Command staff.
Maintaining cooperative and effective working relationships with human resource staff, agency employees, and the general public is an essential function.
Regular, reliable, dependable, performance is an essential function.
For a full position description email request to KHP.Career@KS.GOV , please include the Job ID #.
Education: High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
Licensing & Certification: Valid Kansas Driver’s License.
Necessary Special Requirements: One year of experience in planning, directing, organizing, managing or administering personnel or human resources functions.
Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and the public at all levels. Strong attention to detail. Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing. Experience organizing and prioritizing multiple tasks and responsibilities. Ability to perform unrelated tasks efficiently and accurately. Outlook, Word, Excel.
Preferred Qualifications: Knowledge of Human Resource functions and familiarity with the agency. Ability to successfully explain processes or information. Experience with SHaRP, SMART, KPERS, SEHP.
Post-Offer, Pre-employment Requirements: Must submit to and pass a thorough background check including fingerprints. Ability to sit, walk, stand, stretch, twist, reach out with body, arms and legs; listen, comprehend, respond, speak clearly and concisely in person and on the telephone; repeatedly bend, stoop, lift lightweight materials up to 30 lbs, sit for long periods of time, move in confined areas, and perform repetitive motions with one or more extremity.
Persons applying for positions with KHP will be subject to background investigation, fingerprints, and/or drug screening.
Recruiter Contact Information:
• Name: Director Shellbie Blodgett
• Email: Shellbie.Blodgett@KS.GOV
• Phone Number: 785-296-5994