Job Summary: The City of Lawrence, Municipal Services and Operations Department is seeking to fill a Master Mechanic I position. This individual will perform preventive maintenance and repairs on all vehicles, other rolling stock and non-rolling equipment in the City’s fleet.
100% – Master Mechanic I is an advanced position. Employees in this position will be expected to perform complex tasks and work on specialized equipment and vehicles. Will perform record keeping activities on repairs performed and provide technical assistance to lower level mechanics and garage personnel. Employees perform more difficult and responsible types of duties including lead repairs of gasoline, diesel, and other types of fuel-powered equipment, and on hydraulic and electrical systems. Employees at this level are required to be fully trained in all procedures related to assigned area of responsibility.
Qualifications – Requires HS/GED equivalent, plus additional specialized training in automotive/ mechanical repair. Must have at minimum two years of increasingly responsible automotive/ mechanical repair experience. Knowledge and skills related to the repair of fire apparatus and medical units is strongly preferred.
• This position requires the possession of, or the ability to obtain, a valid commercial driver’s license (Class B required, Class A preferred, Air Brake Endorsement Mandatory)
• This position requires ownership of personal hand tools adequate to repair most common vehicles or equipment
• Current ASE and/or EVT certification strongly preferred
• Master Mechanic I: Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Master-Level Auto/Light Truck or Heavy Truck certification within one calendar year of hire date
• Master Mechanic II: Eligible advancement once completed Emergency Vehicle Technician (EVT) Ambulance or Fire Apparatus Certification
• The successful applicant must pass the background check, post-offer City physical and drug screen
The starting salary range: $26.04 to 30.14/hr., D.O.Q.; Application Review Begins 2/7/22.
The City of Lawrence is pleased to provide an online application process. As of January 8th, 2007 Human Resources will no longer accept paper applications by mail, e-mail or fax. If you do not have access to a home computer to submit an application, computer access is available at public libraries, the Lawrence Workforce Center or City Hall, Human Resources. Apply at www.LAWRENCECITYJOBS.ORG.