POSITION: Engineering Technician I/II REVIEW DATE: January 2020
DEPARTMENT: Public Works REPORTS TO: Principal Civil Engineer
The Engineering Technician performs daily drafting and minimal design functions for in-house design projects. The technician assists the on-staff engineers by preparing plans for construction projects that include transportation, traffic, storm water, sanitary sewer and water mains. The technician also assists the public in acquiring maps and records maintained by the office, formulates charts, develops graphic materials and performs record searches.
1. Prepare plans for City of Manhattan improvement projects. Create accurate civil engineering CAD exhibits/schematic drawings, construction drawings, and presentation boards. May need to assist in providing training to other AutoCAD users.
2. Contribute to the overall preparation of project designs by performing essential drafting and limited design in a consistent and professional manner. Draw accurate, clear and understandable civil engineering drawings with adhering to CAD standards as established by the City.
3. Read and interpret constructions plans and other written technical material in order to prepare construction plans and update “as-built” drawings (approx. 18 projects per year) and existing maps, including but not limited to planning, utilizes, and any other applicable maps.
4. Research applicable codes and standards related to design.
5. Summarize information from maps, reports, field and file investigations, and books. May generate maps and other graphics to allow viewers to visualize and understand results of analyses or simulations of potential events.
6. Prepare and maintain a digital and hard copy archive of plans, plats and miscellaneous drawing files by documenting maps, plans, drawings and then indexing for future retrieval. Assure maintenance of maps, plans and other drawings by properly labeling, cataloging and filing documents.
7. Assist survey technician in the field as needed to gather survey data.
8. Prepare and update files and records.
9. Monitor usage of and maintain plotter supplies.
10. Enhance the public relations appearance of the City of Manhattan and Public Works Department by prompt and courteous response to public inquiries concerning information maintained by the office.
11. Convert GIS data to CAD data for internal use.
12. Display geographically referenced information.
13. Assist the CAD Manager for the Engineering Division of Public Works with work including, but not limited to, updating/installing CAD software, troubleshooting CAD software problems, training/educating other users, and staying informed of CAD industry developments.
14. Other duties as assigned.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
The Public Works Department encompasses four divisions – Administration, Engineering, Operations, and Water and Wastewater. The Engineering Division includes Engineering Services, GIS, Traffic Operations and Electrical services, and Stormwater Management. The Operations Division includes Streets and Fleet Maintenance. The Water and Wastewater Division includes Water Treatment, Wastewater Treatment, Environmental Services, Water Distribution and
Wastewater Collection. The Engineering Technician reports to the Principal Civil Engineer, and is responsible for the preparation of all plans for construction projects designed by the City of Manhattan which includes preparing the plan and profile sheets, cross-sections, detail sheets, transferring information from
survey notes (electronically) to plans, adding construction notes. Other duties include plotting and/or copying completed plans for distribution to contractors; revising drawings to reflect the “as built” condition of the projects upon completion of the improvements; preparing visual aids for meetings and other municipal departments; maintaining catalogue system of plats, construction
plans and other drawings; preparing drawings for archiving (scanning into digital format); communicating information concerning plats, plans and other drawings to engineers, developers, contractors, student groups and other members of the public. The Engineering Technician should have significant knowledge of computer aided drafting, AutoCAD Civil 3D and related civil engineering appurtenances. Basic knowledge on Plotters, reader/printer machine for microfilm, engineering copier and general maintenance of machines.
Knowledge of ESRI ArcView is a plus. Challenges inherent to this position include updating complicated as-built drawings, making design changes after the plans have been completed, tasking many unrelated projects simultaneously, designing the straightforward and repetitious construction plans with limited supervision, working with multiple CAD Surveys, basic understanding of GIS software formats,
converting GIS data to a CAD data and CAD data to GIS data for use by the public, handling public inquiries and requests for paper and/or digital copies when trying to meet deadlines. Performance can be measured, in part, by the extent that drawings are neat, understandable and read well; the effectiveness and efficiency with which service is rendered to the public; the proper updating of all maps, plans and microfilm files; by the accuracy of maps and related attribute data,
and the ability to keep information up-to-date; productivity of work, ability to learn new tasks, and the professional graphic appearance of the visual aid materials.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY:
1. General knowledge of civil engineering design including grading, Americans with Disabilities Act/Public Right of Way Accessibility Guidelines (ADA/PROWAG), Mutual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD), and construction best management practices (BMPs).
2. Knowledge of computer aided drafting, and related civil engineering appurtenances. Knowledge of AutoCAD Civil 3D and/or related software packages.
3. Working knowledge of civil drafting practices and procedures within AutoCAD Civil 3D (or a similar system) and the ability to remain updated on developments within the CAD industry. These practices and procedures include data shortcuts, databases, insertion of topographic field data, creation of existing ground surfaces, utilization of pipe networks, and creation of alignments/profiles/cross sections.
4. Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
5. Excellent knowledge and ability to perform operations involved with Windows OS, MS Access, MS Excel, and MS Word.
6. Basic knowledge and ability to understand foundational GPS and survey practices.
7. Basic presentation skills, such as developing materials and providing training assistance to AutoCAD users.
8. Ability to exercise independent judgment when evaluating completeness and accuracy of technical information. Must be able to logically analyze situations and resolve discrepancies and correct errors.
9. Ability to complete a potentially heavy work load and manage multiple tasks/projects.
10. Must be able to communicate in English language, orally and in written form, with the general public and staff members using proper grammar, punctuation and spelling; must answer public inquiries and conduct field interviews. Ability to use standard business writing practices and report preparation. (Daily)
11. Ability to deal courteously and effectively with the public and City of Manhattan staff.
12. Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
13. Ability to legally operate a motor vehicle in the State of Kansas and maintain a valid driver’s license.
Associate’s degree or technical certificate from a Civil Engineering design drafting program.
Experience working with AutoCAD Civil 3D or a related software is required.
Ability to read and comprehend written material of a fairly technical nature.
Ability to interpret construction drawings.
Ability to organize files and effectively retrieve data.
Ability to compose business correspondence and provide written communications that are grammatically correct and punctuated properly.
Ability to research Civil Engineering standards and codes.
Excellent verbal skills needed to communicate with citizens, answer questions and complaints in a highly professional and competent manner.
Ability to apply mathematical concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Printers and Scanners
Paper Trimmers and staplers
Physical/Mental Demands/Working Conditions
Sedentary work. Sits for prolonged periods of time while working at the computer.
Occasionally lifts objects weighing 21-50 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The position in engaged primarily with office, but has occasional work in the field to collect relevant information. A significantly higher percentage of time will be spent in the office performing sedentary work at a desk or computer. Traversing irregular terrain inherent to construction sites is required. Supervision
Works under general supervision, typically of the CAD Technician with the most experience, but will receive direction from multiple Engineers. Works independently in fulfilling assigned duties and responsibilities.
How to apply: Using the “apply now” button on our website job page, https://cityofmhk.com/1393/Apply-for-a-Job. Please complete all required steps for consideration. The online application, upload a resume and transcripts or technical certificate, and three “Professional” references. For general questions about the position, contact Robyn (785) 587-2443 or HR@CITYOFMHK.COM.
Listing expires on Wednesday March 11th, 2020