Pediatric Associates, LLC, in of Topeka, KS . is a bustling independently, owned and operated private practice, currently looking for a FULL-TIME NURSE . Our team consists of experienced, compassionate pediatricians and friendly, nurturing staff members who take pride in giving their young patients the personalized pediatric care that they deserve is expanding. We are seeking an individual with the skills and background to compliment our winning team. This position will be responsible for the providing assistance, within their scope of education and experience, in addressing children and adolescent’s illnesses or injury’s, in situations ranging from routine preventative to acute care.Including but not limited, to responsibilities will entail, documenting patient’s symptoms and medical history for the Physician and/or Nurse Practitioner (NP) to review, assisting the Physician or NP during the patient examination and administering certain medical procedures and tests as indicated or instructed. This individual will also periodically be responsible for providing resource information to patient’s and their families on various topics related to the patient’s health and wellness concerns and/or needs.
Minimal Requirements :
• One to two years’ experience in a medical setting, ideally pediatrics, two to three years of experience with additional specialty training in pediatrics for senior consideration. Experience working in an emergency room helpful.
• Knowledge of health care and medical procedures, including terminology.
• Ability to use sound judgment in a fast paced environment, handling a wide variety of situations and people, including emergency or adverse situations.
• Must be able to multi-task and deal with interruptions, changing priorities and time restraints.
• Requires an individual with a high level of patience and compassion, but decisive enough to deal with difficult situations.
• Must enjoy interacting with children and have a gentle and calm enough disposition to be able to deal with children who may be frightened or apprehensive about medical treatment or procedures.
• Must possess cultural awareness and sensitivity.
• Must be able to explain procedures in simple terms so that patient and/or family members understand.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities may include but not be limited to:
• Proactively determines what type of visit patient is being seen for in order to determine set-up needed for visit. Applies education and experience to anticipate what resources may be needed for the patient’s visit (what type of equipment, supplies, shots, etc. that the Physician or NP may need).
• Reviews patient information and records vitals as preparation for the patient’s meeting with the doctor or NP.
• Assists treating physician or NP during examination, treatment and procedures. Helps patients to be comfortable and cooperative with examinations/procedures.
• Collects samples for laboratory tests, administers medications, shots, catheters, removes suture’s, etc. and performs or assists with other treatment or diagnostic procedures as instructed by the doctor. As directed, may perform physical, medical and diagnostic tests or procedures such as eye and hearing exams, ear irrigation, breathing treatments, etc.
• May explain processes, treatment, follow-up needs, etc. to family members and patients in a manner that is understandable to them. Provides education, information and support that may be of interest for that patient or family’s needs.
• Responds to calls from patient or family member, providing information or relaying the inquiry to the physician or NP as appropriate. Schedules appointments as needed.
• Handles or relays information to the medical provider or supervisor regarding issues related to referrals, diagnostic testing centers, hospital admissions/dismissals, etc.
• Records all care information concisely, accurately and completely, in a timely manner, in the appropriate format and on the appropriate forms.Enters/extracts appropriate patient information into and from the computer system. Scans information from the patient’s charts into system.
• Ensures sterile equipment is ready for use by following proper techniques and use of autoclave.
• Ensures Nursing Staff Supervisor is made aware of any concerns from or about patient care issues. Advises Supervisor of equipment issues, supply needs or requisitions, etc.
• Performs other position-related duties as assigned, depending on assignment setting. May float between providers and various clinical services, where qualified and competent.
• Must exhibit a professional image, customer empathy, and exceptional service attitude• Critical-thinking skills are required to assess a patient’s health as well as detect changes in symptoms, health or pain, and recognize when action is necessary.
• Must be compassionate and emphatic to a patient’s needs and, at a more senior level, be able to deal with people in various states of pain, trauma and tragedy.
• Attention to detail and confidentiality is crucial in dealing with patient information, record accurate information, assessing needs, and in administration of medical care including dosage and treatment protocols. Must be organized and know how to prioritize.
• Must be able to work under pressure, remain calm, and handle unusual or urgent circumstances that may be encountered
This position requires excellent communication skills, a patient listener who is not content until they are convinced they are ensured they have a clear understanding of their patients needs and concerns. The ability to communicate in a tactful manner as well as maintain an appropriate demeanor and composure even when faced with an uncomfortable situations is non-negotiable.He or she must be able to “think-on-his/her feet” and respond to instructions from providers and respond to information being given while under pressure. The ability to analyze technical information and provide interpretation so others can understand procedures in a clear manner can not be stressed enough. Excellent command of verbal and written capabilities with an excellent knowledge of medical terminology is highly preferred as well as the ability to read and understand medical product and equipment labels and instructions. The ability to listen and speak effectively with patients, family members and co-workers while concentrating and focusing with constant interruptions is a requirement. In order to provide the most comprehensive care for our young patients the ideal candidate must regularly deal with personal situations involving patients and family members which may include difficult or emergent situations. These situations may significantly increase the stress level of this position and because patients need round-the-clock care, work hours may include days, nights, weekends and holidays periodically be required. This individual must be enthusiastic and eager to work closely with our staff to foster our existing team approach to support, achieve and maintain high quality patient care and cooperation among staff for a cohesive and positive work environment.