Security Benefit (SB), a leader in the U.S. retirement market, is seeking an experienced Building Technician to join the Building & Facilities Department. Security Benefit has been dedicated to helping clients plan and save for retirement for nearly five decades. Over the last several years it has become a top provider of retirement products and services through a nationwide network of independent financial representatives. This position will work in our home office in Topeka, Kansas.
The Building Technician will contribute to a safe and cost effective work environment by maintaining and repairing facility equipment, constructing workstations, install communication/data/electrical cabling and maintaining the groups. Candidate must be available for rotating weekend and holiday on-call and after hour’s duty to address any building emergencies. This is a great opportunity to build on your current experience and learn new skill sets.
• Maintain/repair building HVAC (heating, ventilation, cooling) systems. This includes centrifugal chillers, boilers, air handling units, fans, motors, pumps, etc.
• Monitor, test and treat boiler, tower, and chilled water systems in accordance with chemical treatment procedures.
• Corrective and preventative maintenance of equipment and facilities, including but not limited to: painting; repair or replace carpeting, floor tiles, door and window hardware. Perform general plumbing such as cleaning clogged drains, minor servicing of various water lines, i.e. drinking fountains, sprinklers and faucets.
• Replace/repair lamps, ballasts and fixtures.
• Repair or replace plumbing systems, including restroom fixtures, faucets, valves, irrigation systems, drinking fountains, cafeteria water lines, various drains, etc.
• Install telephone and data cable, including the pulling of the wire and making the physical connections.
• Install electrical wiring and make physical connections to workstations.
• Monitor/adjust building energy management system to provide a quality environment for building occupants.
• Construct/tear down workstations and moveable walls. Assist with running data/telephone cabling to the new workstations.
• Maintain grounds by seeding, fertilizing, mowing lawns, trimming trees and shrubs, and removing snow and ice from sidewalks and parking areas.
Desired Skills and Experience:
• High school diploma or GED required.
• Facilities Maintenance experience or training in a commercial setting or related fields. Demonstrated work experience with HVAC is highly preferred.
• Able to use a personal computer with experience using Word, Excel and Outlook.
• Knowledge of building automation system.
• Able to operate hand tools, power tools, and basic shop tools such as grinder, drill press, band saw, etc.
• Able to troubleshoot, install and repair: lighting systems, electrical motors, air conditioning equipment and chillers, heating equipment and systems, ventilation equipment such as air handlers and exhaust systems, and dehumidification equipment.
• Ability to use refrigeration test gauges and recovery equipment.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Able to accept direction and meet deadlines.
• Self-motivated and has proven ability to work independently with minimal direction.
• Ability to work with contractors and other technicians in completing work.
• Required to be available for weekend and holiday on-call and after hours duty.
• Able to read, understand and follow work instructions and procedures.
• Must be detail oriented and meticulous to update files and documentation.
• Must have a valid driver’s license for work related travel.
• Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds.
Consider joining our progressive team in our nationally recognized company. Visit the career section of our website at www.securitybenefit.com/careers to complete an application and submit your resume. EOE
Listing expires on Friday October 11th, 2019