The scrub Surgical Technologist handles the instruments, supplies, and equipment before, during, and after the surgical procedure. He/she has an understanding of the procedure being performed and anticipates the needs of the surgeon. He/she has the necessary knowledge and ability to ensure quality patient care during the operative procedure and is constantly on vigil for maintenance of the sterile field. Duties are as follows:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Checks supplies and equipment needed for the surgical procedure. Anticipates problem areas and adjusts instrumentation to individual patient.
• Assists team members to place and position patient on O.R. table.
• Maintains highest standard of sterile technique and promptly reports any compromise.
• Performs surgical scrubs, gowning, and gloving appropriately.
• Sets up sterile table with instruments, supplies, and equipment prior to patient entry.
• Mixes and labels all medications under the supervision of the RN Circulator.
• Performs appropriate counts with the RN Circulator prior to the operation and before the incision is closed.
• Helps in draping the sterile field.
• Hands instruments and supplies to surgeon, holds retractors, cuts sutures, and performs tasks as directed by surgeon during the operation. Wound closure is specific to Certified First Assistant (CFA) duties and is referenced to the Certified First Assistant (CFA) job description.
• Attends to proper care and handling of specimens while they are on the sterile field.
• Places sterile dressings on patient following surgery.
• Provides timely, accurate and concise reports on all patients to oncoming personnel.
• Cleans and prepares instruments for transport to decontamination
• Assists other members of the team with terminal cleaning of room
• Assists in prepping room for the next patient.
• Demonstrates cost effectiveness in use of supplies and equipment.
• Demonstrates awareness of self-responsibility for own practice.
• Fosters positive working relationships with all health care customers.
• Uses complex, specialized patient care equipment appropriately.
• Participates actively in clinical education activities, including orientation of new employees.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Graduate of a Surgical Technologist Program OR
• LPN with appropriate Licensure and Operating Room Experience OR
• Recent six months Surgical Technologist experience in an operating room
• Certification for the Surgical Technologist by graduating from a formal program and passing a national certification examination