GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Present a positive and pleasant atmosphere. Maintains a cheerful and smiling demeanor at all times. Greets patients and visitors in a prompt and courteous manner. Serves as the liaison between the patient, medical support staff and the providers. Demonstrate a positive interpersonal relationship when dealing with fellow employees, supervisors, other department employees and physicians. Responsible for providing patient care under the direction of the physicians. Ensure patients are seen in a timely manner, assist physicians with patient flow and other general duties, accept patient care related phone calls.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Physicians and practice manager
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Supervise medical assistants
NOTE: This job description is intended to describe the general duties required of this position. Employees categorized within this job description refer to clinical personnel (RN and LPN). Employees designated as unlicensed personnel are under the direction of a licensed person to practice medicine or the supervision of a registered nurse. It is not intended to serve as an exhaustive list of all duties, skills and responsibilities.
• Arrive to the office 30 minutes prior to scheduled clinic time to prepare for clinic/patient care.
• Room patients promptly and politely.
• Respects the dignity, confidentiality and privacy of patients.
• Demonstrates courtesy and professional relationship towards patients, family members, KCUC staff members and others.
• Accompany patients to exam/procedure room; assist patients as needed with walking, transfers, dressing, collecting specimens, preparing for exam, etc.
• Assists physician with patient flow in the clinic.
• Screen and triage incoming patient calls.
• Set-up, assist and clean up for procedures according to KCUC protocol.
Cystoscopy Hydrocele aspiration
Stent removal Voiding flow studies
Vasectomies BCG and Intron A
Fulguration Catheter placement
Prostate biopsy Injections
• Clean and disinfect examination rooms, lab, instruments and equipment according to KCUC protocol between patients to maintain infection control.
• Collect and test urine specimens.
• Prepare urine for cultures and cytology.
• Autoclave all necessary instruments.
• Clean autoclave according to scheduled maintenance program, keep appropriate records.
• Keep pamphlets and samples stocked.
• Keep logs for LHRH drugs.
• Mail or call lab results.
• Ordering, sorting and stocking supplies.
• Restocking exam rooms.
• Fulfills organizational responsibilities as assigned which may include: respecting/promoting patient rights; responding appropriately to emergencies, sharing problems relating to patients and/or staff with immediate supervisors quickly.
• Clerical responsibilities: sending/receiving lab/x-ray reports, hospital notes, referral information, etc. Verify insurance is accepted at appropriate facilities when sending patients to lab/x-ray/surgery, etc. Able to perform check-in or checkout duties as necessary.
• File labs/x-rays, etc. in patient chart after physician review.
• Responds to voicemail in a timely manner.
• Attends required meetings/in-services.
• Use of proper grammar and appropriate language.
• Answer phones as needed, using appropriate phone etiquette, taking accurate messages and directing calls correctly.
• Performs any additional tasks as directed by practice management.
• Assist the Practice Manager and Physicians with the orderly business operation as necessary, including but not limited to assisting other employees as directed.
• Is committed to teamwork and professionalism.
• Conduct business in a professional manner at all times, treating patients and coworkers with respect and dignity; being mindful, avoid the use of inappropriate language.
• If applicable: scheduling surgery.
• Attend all staff meetings.
• All drugs and samples cabinets should be locked at the end of the day.
• All drug samples should be monitored monthly for expiration dates.
• Follow up on all labs waiting everyday.
• Needs to be alert to perform job duties.
• Shares expertise and knowledge with co-workers.
• Can effectively problem solve and communicate with co-workers, managers and providers.
• Works together to accomplish goals of KCUC.
• Participates and attends staff meeting 90% of the time.
• Participates in team building exercises.
• Employee supports and complies with office policies.
• Participates as a team player.
• Encourages others to support and work together as a team, rather than one for all.
• Employee verbalizes to others a job well done.
• Displays a positive attitude towards others and can be encouraging during difficult times.
• Flexible with schedule assignments and changes.
• Performs other essential functions as required and directed by physicians and or practice management.
• Cooperates without resentment of extra assignments.
• College degree (Associate or higher)
• Prior clinical experience preferred, but not required.
• Experience in working with the public in a service oriented business.
• Computer skills preferred.
• Strong organization skills.
• Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
• RN/LPN must have current state license.
• MA current certificate if applicable.
• Knowledge of healthcare field and medical specialty.
• Ability to learn specific tasks related to urology.
• Knowledge of HIPPA guidelines.
• Knowledge of computer systems and applications.
• Knowledge of policies and procedures related to infection control and safety (OSHA).
• Knowledge of medical documentation.
• Skill in tact and diplomacy in interpersonal interactions.
• Skill in performing tasks appropriately.
• Skill in written and verbal communication.
• Ability to display care, compassion and empathy.
• Ability to learn and retain information regarding patient care.
• Ability to plan, prioritize and complete tasks.
• Ability to project a pleasant and professional image.
Constantly required to push/pull, lift light objects and objects less than 50 pounds.
Able to assist/lift patients.
• Manual Dexterity:
Constantly required to perform simple motor skills and manipulative skills such as standing, walking, writing and use of various types of office equipment.
Frequently required to use more complex office equipment.,
Constantly required to perform gross body coordination such as walking, stooping and standing and using a step stool while performing tasks, carrying and lifting objects.
Constantly required to walk and stand (including for long periods of time).
• Visual Discrimination:
Constantly required to see objects closely to allow reading instruments, physician orders, computer screens and measurement tools.
Constantly required to hear normal sounds with some background noise as in answering phones, intercom, and other equipment sound/alarms, etc.
• Mental Requirements:
Able to process great amounts of information, apply strong problem solving skills and exercise good judgment. Able to concentrate on details with interruptions.
• Combination of office and exam rooms.
• Frequent exposure to blood borne pathogens, toxic substances, medicinal preparations.
• Hepatitis B vaccination recommended and TB testing required on an annual basis.
• Hours are dependent on needs of clinic.
Must be able to project a professional, pleasant image while interacting with a variety of personalities and cultures. Must demonstrate tact and diplomacy in interpersonal interactions. Should have strong communication and customer service skills and respect for confidentiality. Must have the ability to plan, prioritize and complete tasks under stress with frequent interruptions. Ability to utilize basic office equipment, such as Telephones, Calculators, Writing Utensils, Fax Machines, Copiers and Computers