Division: Lab Administration-Custodian (2 positions open)
Position Type: Temporary, Unclassified (At-Will), Full-Time, Nonexempt, Benefits-Eligible
Position Location: Topeka, Kansas
Hours: 7:00AM to 4:00PM Monday – Friday
Compensation: $13.61 per hour + $.30 Building Trades Differential Hourly
The Kansas Bureau of Investigation is the premier criminal investigative agency in the state of Kansas. The KBI is committed to its critical mission of preventing crime and enhancing public safety in Kansas. We employ individuals who exemplify the highest standards of integrity, service, and dedication. Come feel like you’re part of something bigger at the KBI.
The KBI is accepting applications to fill a Custodian Position in our Forensic Science Center. As a Custodian you will perform a variety of tasks to maintain a clean and safe laboratory facility in the Kansas Bureau of Investigation Forensic Science Center on the Washburn University Campus.
As a Custodian you will perform the following tasks:
• Use chemicals, cleaning supplies and equipment according to the manufacturer’s specifications comply with KBI policies and procedures on safety and chemical hygiene.
• Set up rooms according to written instructions, move furniture, and replace furniture at completion of events.
• Polish terrazzo floors using the proper cleaning material and equipment.
• Cleaning windows, both interior and exterior on established schedules.
• Dust furniture, clean woodwork, sweep, mop, dust mop; clean and sanitize restrooms and replenish toiletry supplies, maintain sinks and toilets as needed.
• Clean offices: vacuum carpet, remove trash, clean lighting fixtures, replace light bulbs, empty trash and recycle bins according to established schedules.
• Maintain security of the building to include unlocking and locking doors.
• Respond immediately to requests to clean up spills and emergencies related to weather or building systems.
• Performs all additional duties as required by the KBI Facility Manager.
Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor.
Communicate effectively with staff, supervisors and other customers both in written form and verbal. Able to utilize equipment to lift, move and maneuver materials and equipment in excess of 50 pounds or more without assistance and items greater than 100 pounds with assistance. Work from ladders or hydraulic lift platforms as needed.
High school diploma or GED. Prior utility and custodial work experience is preferred. Prior work experience in a hospital, laboratory setting or academic building is preferred.
• As a condition of employment, you will be subject to a pre-employment process to include a polygraph examination, fingerprint based records check, and comprehensive background investigation, including reference check of past and present employers. The pre-employment process will be waived for current KBI personnel who have previously completed the screening requirements