Surgical Scrub Technologist
Job Classification: Full time, Part time, or PRN. Non-exempt.
Reporting Relationship: Reports directly to the Surgery Supervisor.
The scrub position is under the direct supervision of the operating room supervisor or the circulating RN.
• Scrub nurse/tech will be available for scheduled and emergency cases.
• May assist circulating nurse with circulating duties under direct supervision of circulating RN.
• Assist with packaging and sterilizing of supplies in the sterile processing and restocking supplies to the OR, OB, ER, and first floor supply closet.
• Check the surgery schedule for scheduled cases including sterile procedures and non-sterile procedures.
• Don cap, shoe covers, mask.
• Pre-Operative cleaning of OR equipment with disinfectant solution.
• Set up and opens supplies and instruments using aseptic technique for procedure.
• Hand scrub with Hibiclens, Betadine Solution or alcohol based scrub per standards set for hand washing. Dries hands/arms with sterile towel and dons sterile gown and gloves.
• Preparation of sterile field on mayo stand and back table with instruments, sponges, tapes, needles, etc.
• Maintain a sterile field.
• Counts sponges, tapes, needles, and instruments with circulating nurse before and with closure of procedure.
• Gowns and gloves surgeon and assistants.
• Assists surgeon with prepping patient and draping for sterile operative field.
• Requests additional supplies and instruments as needed for procedure from the circulating nurse.
• Assists surgeon with operative dressings and removal of drapes in a contained manner.
• Assists with transferring of patient from OR bed to recovery room cart, providing patient safety.
• Cares for surgical specimens for preservation to be sent to lab.
• Cleans and disinfects contaminated instruments and supplies. assist
• Wraps and sterilizes instruments and supplies.
• Restocks supplies in the operating room.
• Performs other duties as directed in the surgical supply room.
• Takes rotating call for emergency surgeries 24/7.
o RN or LPN-Must be a graduate of an accredited school of nursing and be licensed by the Kansas State Board of Nursing.
o Scrub Technologist-Must have on the job training with direct supervision of a qualified scrub nurse/tech until deemed competent.
• Training and Experience
o Need to have knowledge of surgical procedures and sterilizing processes.
o Must have on the job orientation, the length which will be determined by past experience and evaluation.
o Familiarity with organization functions, policies, procedures, regulations, knowledge of new developments as they relate to the surgical area.
o Yearly competencies evaluations.
• CPR Certified.
• Good mental and physical health.
• Ability to perform various repetitive tasks i.e., simple grasping, pushing, pulling and fine manipulation (keyboard).
• Hand and finger dexterity to handle delicate instruments and equipment.
• Ability to stand for 85% of an eight (8) hour work day.
• Turning, stooping, bending, stretching, and lifting to perform tasks.
• Occasionally sit.
• Frequently walk, climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
• Read computer screens and mail, email, talk on the phone.
• Ability to hear clearly.
• Ability to lift 25-40 pounds unassisted or with minimal assistance.
• For greater than 50 pounds it may be expected that the employee will request assistance from a co-worker for lifting and transferring.
• Ability to perform CPR.
• Professional hospital setting.
• Conditions such as noise and odors may cause some discomfort.
• All employees within this job classification may have high-risk exposure to blood borne pathogens or other potentially infectious materials.
• Exposure to potentially dangerous materials and situations which require following extensive safety precautions and may include the use of protective equipment.
• Interaction with staff and patients.
Additional duties and responsibilities may be added to this job description at any time. The job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee holding this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor.
Listing expires on Saturday October 19th, 2019