Division: Consumer Protection and Antitrust
Position Location: Topeka, Kansas (Shawnee County)
The Office of the Kansas Attorney General (OAG) is accepting applications to fill a Secretary III position in our Consumer Protection and Antitrust Division to respond to inquiries from the public and other state agencies through telephone, mail, email and in-person. We’re an organization that values individuals who strive to work in a team environment, where a positive attitude and willingness to assist others is critical. We seek to hire individuals who exemplify the highest standards of integrity, efficiency and professionalism. Successful candidates must be ethical, well-organized, self-motivated, punctual and prompt. A high degree of accuracy and attention to detail is required.
If selected, you would support our mission to investigate scams, mediate and prosecute violations of consumer protection acts and provide helpful information to consumers on a variety of topics. In this position, you would work in a high-volume, customer service focused environment and would appropriately handle numerous telephone, mail, email, and in-person contacts with the public daily. You would be required to become familiar with the OAG office structure, policies and procedures as well as other state, federal and local agencies and private entities that may be able to provide assistance to our constituents. Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Answer multi-line telephones promptly and courteously.
• Assess information needs of callers/visitors and direct them to appropriate resources internal to or external of the OAG.
• Take accurate messages and relay information to the appropriate OAG staff member, division, or external entity. Extremely high-volume phone contact is inherent in the performance of the work.
• Receive and sort incoming postal, express and building mail delivery to the agency.
• Process daily incoming and outgoing correspondence for the Consumer Protection Division through mail, email and fax. Open and scan incoming consumer complaint file correspondence in the manner outlined by office policy and practices. Input data to open, close or update a consumer complaint case file in the electronic document management system.
• Route consumer complaint file correspondence to the appropriate staff using the electronic document management system.
• Assist with various administration functions including accurate data entry, mass mailings, filing, proofreading, office supply maintenance, publication requests or other administrative assignments as needed.
• Assist assistant attorneys general in providing accurate information to requestors as directed under the Kansas Open Records Act by photocopying or printing material(s) from the electronic document management system and mailing requested material(s) to the requesting party.
Additional Duties: Additional duties may be added at any time. This announcement does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed. You would be expected to follow other job-related instructions and perform other job-related duties as requested.
• High school diploma or GED equivalency
• At least two (2) years of experience in general office, clerical, or administrative work
• Reception experience to include operation of multiple-line telephone system(s)
• Experience in a customer service oriented work environment
• Formal education in office/business administration or related field(s) may be substituted for experience, as deemed by the Attorney General to be sufficient qualification to perform the assigned work.
• Successful completion of technical training program in general office practices, or office administration.
• Experience with an electronic document management system.
• Bilingual skills (especially Spanish speaking) are highly desired.